Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cataract in a Concrete Jungle

'Twas afternoon; the unforgiving Chennai sun, blazed away yet another dreary day
Turning the water pump on, I had no inkling what would follow
But when the water ran down the overflow spout, what did I see?
the most heartwarming sight - two birds, no, not sparrows, (they have exited this hell we call Chennai)
on the branches of the gauva tree drenching underneath the anthropogenic cataract
I couldn't but stop, watch and imagine their joy at discovering a mid-summer day miracle
For once, I felt childishly happy sharing their joy vicariously as they chirped and flitted in 'n out the evanescent wonder
Yet, in that moment, my heart ached for every deprived, exploited plant, tree and animal
forests razed for timber, mining, roads and colonies,
for seals and walruses that live but to enrich humanity with mink,
elephants, lions and tigers sandwiched between hydro-dam inundation, deforestation and encroachment
dolphins, sharks and whales signed away into oblivion by diplomatically-worded sea treaties, (the EEZ now extends only half-way across the ocean!)
cows denied their grazing land by developers hunting for 'greener pastures' (Do I sense an incongruity?),
snakes that don't slither for want of open land and mongooses that don't peek out lest they turn in to a tyre imprint or adorn the living room wall
crows that anxiously, I fancy almost desperately, caw 'Give us this day our mouthful water' (Now that the neighborhood lake is a colonized 'Extension')
And for that Kingfis.... Wait!, that can't be! The stock market is zooming up again;
I must make haste, for I too have bills to pay before I eat and bills to pay before I sleep.
Where is the Quote? The EPS, the Alpha, the Beta and,
don't you forget, Sharpe Ratio!
Viva Capitalism! Viva Sustainable Development! (Now, there's even a mutual fund if you wish to be an environmentally correct investor!)

ps: If only WWF had shorted the environment at the bourses! Why, they would have put Warren Buffet to shame!

Ganga Prasad Rao
http://myprofile.cos.com/gangar